You are currently viewing Bridging Visas Explained

Bridging Visas Explained

So exactly what is a bridging visa? In short, a bridging visa keeps you lawfully in Australia if your current visa has expired and the visa you have applied for is not yet decided.

The most common bridging visa is a bridging visa A. This is granted to someone who has applied for a visa while they still have a valid visa. When that current visa runs out, they then go onto that bridging visa and not before. On a Bridging Visa A you have the exact same conditions that you had on your previous visa. So, if you were permitted to work on your previous visa, you can work on your Bridging Visa A.

Sometimes you might need to leave Australia when you are on a Bridging visa A. If this is the case, you need to apply for a Bridging Visa B as it has return provisions. This means that when you want to come back into Australia you are permitted to do so. The Bridging Visa A does not have return provisions. You must apply for the Bridging Visa B before you leave Australia, you cannot apply for it when you are outside of Australia.

There is also a Bridging Visa C. This visa is for a person who has applied for a visa and does not currently hold a substantive visa. This visa does not automatically come with work rights, you need to apply for them. Also, you cannot also apply for a Bridging Visa B from this visa.

The last visa we will discuss here is the Bridging Visa E. This visa is given to a person who has been unlawful for some time and wants to sort out their immigration status. Most commonly, the Bridging Visa E is given to a person in one of two scenarios. One, they are intending to depart Australia or two, they wish to lodge another visa. The issue that then presents itself is schedule 3 criteria, see below. If you need any assistance in relation to bridging visa matters, please contact me at any time to discuss your situation.